Compact Fluorescent Bulb
Benefits of Compact Fluorescent Bulb:
- Its life! 10 to 20,000 hours (5 years when used three hours a day). This is the great replacement for the incandescent bulb, the main reason;
- Contrary to popular belief, it can have very different shapes (not just the spiral shape).
- Its diffuse brightness avoid glare.
- It emits up to 75% less heat than incandescent bulbs, to the same degree of brightness.
- An analysis of the life cycle (overall environmental impact of a product) conducted by the Interuniversity Research Centre for Life Cycle of Products, Processes and Services (CIRAIG) for Hydro Distribution is in favor of compact fluorescent lamp versus the lamp Incandescent.
Disadvantages of CFL bulb:
- His light has an artificial appearance with a color rendering index (CRI) of 65 to 88%, compared with a CRI of 98 to 100% for an incandescent or halogen lamp.
- It often requires an ignition delay.
- It contains mercury, a hazardous material. If broken, aerate the long room, picking up debris with protection (gloves) that join the debris. Everything must be returned to a collection RecycFluo.
- It emits ultraviolet radiation (UV), and it also includes electronic ballast (white bulb base) that can emit electromagnetic fields that may bother some electro-sensitive people. In general, you should not install it on a bedside lamp. However, according to the Government of Canada, “CFLs are not a health risk the general population or at the ultraviolet radiation or in electrical and magnetic fields associated with them.”
- It is not used with a conventional dimmer;
- It is more expensive than conventional or halogen lamp bulb ($ 5 to $ 20.
This bulb has she been overvalued? It’s probably not the ideal eco bulb. We reserve the places of passage or work, rather than places to live in the house (living room). And we take extreme precautions in case of breakage.